I wish I could say that I emerged to the labours of this world (like so many seem to, nowadays) with limbs of paper and ink flowing from my eyes, but history was quite different than that.
I hated reading as a child.
Well, maybe not hated hated, but it bored me out of my head.
Until it found me.
You know the one, every reader knows it. It's the reason we're all here: that single book we couldn't put down, that made us bit our nails to the flesh, that strangled our throats and freed a kaleidoscope of butterflies in our bellies.
That's the book I've chased ever since.
From that day I was twelve and couldn't stop reading in spite of my car sickness, to every time I entered a bookshop afterwards.
And although not every book you read turns into a religious ecstasy (nor it needs to), whenever you do find a book capable of sating your hunger, I believe that's the closest thing to heaven-sent I shall ever experience in both this life and the next (if there's more.)
✽ No name (Wilkie Collins)
✽ Book of a thousand days
✽ The bronze horseman
✽ Emily the Strange (tetralogy)
✽ Jane Eyre
✽ The thirteenth tale
✽ North and South (Gaskell)
✽ Peanuts
✽ Il porto proibito (Radice/Turconi)
✽ Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
✽ The shadow of the wind
No comments:
Post a Comment